The church was founded by 19 people together on August 10, 1942. Meeting in the home of Mrs. Hagerman at 404 Harrison St., they discussed and prayed about the possibility of organizing a Baptist Church in Ferguson. The spark of vision and faith in their hearts was kindled into a burning flame when on September 3, the same year, Rev. J. W. McAtee led this band of believers in the formation and organization of a local church. Thirty-two charter members were joined in fellowship during the early weeks of the church’s existence.
Rev. V. H. Bonner was called as pastor and led the church through the difficult years of beginning. Those early services were held in Bindbeutel Hall. Soon the congregation purchased a store building at South Florissant and Patricia, remodeled it, and began worshiping there in September of 1944, the membership now having reached 97.
It was the decision of the church to call Rev. R. Frank Branson as pastor on December 2, 1945. The church continued to grow under his leadership. Property at 333 N. Florissant Road (the present location) was secured in January 1950 for $15,000. The church building at its present location was built in 1951 and was dedicated in September 1952.